Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Talking on Phone

 
TELEPHONING





Have you ever made a telephone call?
How do you make the call? Using a telephone set at home? A mobile phone?
Who do you frequently call?
When do you usually need to make a call?
Who has ever made a telephone call in English? To whom?


SEE THIS EXAMPLE...!!!


Secretary    : Good morning, TOY Industries. Can I help you?
Mr. Smith  : Hello. May I speak to Ms. Belinda, please?
Secretary    : I’m sorry. She’s not in. Would you like to leave a message?
Mr. Smith  : Yes, please. This is Mr. Smith.
Secretary    : Is that J-I-M?
Mr. Smith  : No, it’s S-M-I-T-H.
Secretary    : All right.
Mr. Smith  : Could you please tell her the meeting is on Sunday at 10: 00.
Secretary    : Sunday at 10: 00.
Mr. Smith  : And would you ask her to phone me this morning?
  My number is 638-9047.
Secretary    : 638-9047. Yes Mr. Smith. I’ll give Ms Graham the messages.
Mr. Smith  : Thank you. Goodbye.
Secretary    : Goodbye.


        In a phone conversation, you must use special expressions if you want to ask for something or ask somebody to do something in a polite or formal way. Here are the expressions:

You can use the expressions to start a conversation on phone.
• Hello. This is ....
• Hello. ... speaking.
• Can I speak to ....
• May I speak to ....

You can use the expressions to extend a conversation
on phone.
• Hold on, please.
• By the way.
• Furthermore, ....
• Moreover, ....

You can use the expressions to end a conversation.
• See you then. Bye.
• I’ll call you later.
• All right. See you again, Sir/Ma’am. Thank you very much

No comments:

Post a Comment